Magic mushrooms are amazing, but they don’t always taste well. That can be changed by combining them with chocolate!
Continue reading to learn how to produce your own magic mushroom chocolate at home, as well as how raw cacao can potentially boost the benefits.
Magic mushroom chocolate is exactly what it sounds like: chocolate with magic mushrooms infused in it. It’s a satisfying process in terms of creation and consumption because it’s simple to create and wonderful to eat!
Furthermore, if you utilize raw cacao, you may be able to improve the effects of the mushrooms as well. We’ll show you how to make it in this article!
A Note On Psilocybin And Heat
But first, there’s something vital you should know about magic mushrooms and heat: they don’t like it! At roughly 70°C, psilocybin begins to degrade.
Given this, you must keep temperatures below this degree anytime you prepare anything with magic mushrooms or truffles. It doesn’t matter if it’s tea, chocolate, or pizza. If you go above this, you risk damaging them completely.
Often, an easy method to keep safe is to do most of the cooking first and then add the mushrooms right at the end, once everything else has cooled.
So, for tea, you’d boil the water, let it cool for a few minutes, and then add the mushrooms. When using chocolate, melt it first and then add the mushrooms once they’re cool.
Does cacao enhance the effects of mushroom chocolate?
Unrefined, raw cacao is a mild MAOI. As a result, it may somewhat lengthen and increase the effects of magic mushrooms when combined. This can be rather unpleasant with higher MAOIs, but it can be quite enticing with cacao.
This could explain why the Aztec culture of Central and South America combined cacao with Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms in what is frequently referred to as the “Aztec combo.”
Most chocolate contains refined cacao, which has had the MAOIs removed. If you wish to include this aspect in your chocolate, it may be worth adding some more raw cacao at the end, along with the mushrooms.
How To Make Magic Mushroom Chocolate
With that out of the way, let’s dive into the method. Making magic mushroom chocolate is pretty straightforward and offers a delicious way to consume mushrooms.
- Cracker-dry magic mushrooms
- Bars of chocolate (whichever you like most)
- Raw, unrefined cacao (optional)
- Large saucepan
- Glass or metal bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Sharp knife or coffee grinder
- Chocolate moulds or non-stick baking tray
- Candy or alcohol thermometer (optional)
- The first thing to do is make sure your magic mushrooms are thoroughly dried.
- Using your sharp knife or coffee grinder, cut or grind your magic mushrooms into small pieces. The smaller, the better.
- Break up your chocolate and place it in a glass or metal bowl.
- Pour some water into your saucepan and then place your glass or metal bowl on top of it to create a DIY bain-marie. Make sure there’s at least an inch of space between the water and the bottom of the bowl.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the water to a simmer. As the water simmers, the steam will heat up the chocolate above it, causing it to melt. Stir it gently using a spoon or heatproof spatula. Alternative: If you are struggling to get this to work, you can also place your bowl of chocolate in the microwave on low. However, you will need to keep a very close eye on your chocolate, as it can easily burn if microwaved for too long.
- Once the chocolate is fully melted, allow it to cool for a minute. Remember, it should be below 70°C. You can use a candy or alcohol thermometer if you want to be totally sure the temperature is below this threshold.
- Once the chocolate has cooled a little but is still liquid, add in your finely cut or grinded mushrooms. At this point, also add the raw cacao powder if you are using it.
- Stir the chocolate mix so that the mushrooms (and cacao) are evenly distributed throughout it.
- Carefully pour it into your moulds, and then place them in the fridge to cool and set.
- Once your shroom chocolate has set, enjoy!
Can You Make Chocolate With Magic Truffles?
You certainly can. It will work whether you use mushrooms or truffles—as long as they are completely dry. Because the active chemicals in magic mushrooms and magic truffles are the same, they will have the same effects.
How To Dose Magic Mushroom Chocolate
Magic mushroom chocolate dosage is actually fairly simple. Simply use one standard dose of mushrooms per serving of mushroom chocolate.
For example, if you’re constructing a mushroom chocolate bar for two people, use two doses of magic mushrooms and evenly divide them throughout the bar. This will be around one dose per half.
However, it might be difficult to maintain even dispersion throughout your chocolate. Take your first dose with caution, especially if you are not acclimated to the effects of psilocybin.
It’s possible that one component contains more than you intended, resulting in a stronger high than you anticipated. This shouldn’t be a problem if you grind and mix your mushrooms thoroughly. When it comes to dose, however, always err on the side of caution.
How Long Does Magic Mushroom Chocolate Last?
There is no single solution, and it is largely dependent on the chocolate. If the chocolate is kept sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, it will most likely retain its psychoactive effects for at least a year. The good news is that, while chocolate can taste unpleasant, it usually does not spoil in a damaging way.
Making Magic Mushroom Chocolate: Not So Difficult
As you may probably guess, making magic mushroom chocolate is quite simple. You don’t need anything special aside from the psychoactive mushrooms, so there’s really no excuse not to try it (unless you don’t like chocolate).
Also, keep in mind that the recipe above is just a starting point; feel free to experiment. Why not include dried fruit and nuts? Or how about salt with caramel? Whatever you do, be considerate and have fun!